- 1. standard, criterion, measure, touchstone, system of measurement, metric
- usage: a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"
- 2. criterion, standard, ideal
- usage: the ideal in terms of which something can be judged; "they live by the standards of their community"
- 3. standard, volume unit, capacity unit, capacity measure, cubage unit, cubic measure, cubic content unit, displacement unit, cubature unit
- usage: a board measure = 1980 board feet
- 4. standard, monetary standard, value
- usage: the value behind the money in a monetary system
- 5. standard, post
- usage: an upright pole or beam (especially one used as a support); "distance was marked by standards every mile"; "lamps supported on standards provided illumination"
- 6. standard, banner, flag
- usage: any distinctive flag
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. standard (vs. nonstandard), modular, regular, regulation, standardized, standardised, stock, normal
- usage: conforming to or constituting a standard of measurement or value; or of the usual or regularized or accepted kind; "windows of standard width"; "standard sizes"; "the standard fixtures"; "standard brands"; "standard operating procedure"
- 2. standard, common (vs. uncommon)
- usage: commonly used or supplied; "standard procedure"; "standard car equipment"
- 3. standard (vs. nonstandard), authoritative, classical, classic, definitive, basic, canonic, canonical, casebook, textbook, criterial, criterional, orthodox
- usage: established or well-known or widely recognized as a model of authority or excellence; "a standard reference work"; "the classical argument between free trade and protectionism"
- 4. standard (vs. nonstandard), received, acceptable, classical
- usage: conforming to the established language usage of educated native speakers; "standard English" (American); "received standard English is sometimes called the King's English" (British)
- 5. standard, stock, regular (vs. irregular)
- usage: regularly and widely used or sold; "a standard size"; "a stock item"
All rights reserved.
See also: standard (Dictionary)