Synonyms of stand up
- 1. arise, rise, uprise, get up, stand up, change posture
- usage: rise to one's feet; "The audience got up and applauded"
- 2. stand up, resist, hold out, withstand, stand firm
- usage: refuse to back down; remain solid under criticism or attack
- 3. stand, stand up, place upright, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: put into an upright position; "Can you stand the bookshelf up?"
- 4. stand, stand up, rest
- usage: be standing; be upright; "We had to stand for the entire performance!"
- 5. stand up, stick up, defend, support, fend for
- usage: defend against attack or criticism; "He stood up for his friend"; "She stuck up for the teacher who was accused of harassing the student"
- 6. stand up, hold up, hold water, survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
- usage: resist or withstand wear, criticism, etc.; "Her shoes won't hold up"; "This theory won't hold water"
- 7. bristle, uprise, stand up
- usage: rise up as in fear; "The dog's fur bristled"; "It was a sight to make one's hair uprise!"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. stand-up, erect (vs. unerect), vertical, upright
- usage: requiring a standing position; "a stand-up bar"; "a stand-up comic"
All rights reserved.