Synonyms of stand for
- 1. typify, symbolize, symbolise, stand for, represent, mean, intend
- usage: express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol; "What does the Statue of Liberty symbolize?"
- 2. mean, intend, signify, stand for
- usage: denote or connote; "`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
- 3. represent, stand for, correspond, equal, be
- usage: take the place of or be parallel or equivalent to; "Because of the sound changes in the course of history, an 'h' in Greek stands for an 's' in Latin"
- 4. stand for, hold still for, digest, endure, stick out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, support, brook, abide, suffer, put up
- usage: tolerate or bear; "I won't stand for this kind of behavior!"
All rights reserved.