- 1. interest, stake, share, portion, part, percentage
- usage: (law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something; "they have interests all over the world"; "a stake in the company's future"
- 2. post, stake, visual signal
- usage: a pole or stake set up to mark something (as the start or end of a race track); "a pair of posts marked the goal"; "the corner of the lot was indicated by a stake"
- 3. stake, instrument of execution
- usage: instrument of execution consisting of a vertical post that a victim is tied to for burning
- 4. stake, stakes, bet, wager, gamble
- usage: the money risked on a gamble
- 5. stake, post
- usage: a strong wooden or metal post with a point at one end so it can be driven into the ground
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. venture, hazard, adventure, stake, jeopardize, risk, put on the line, lay on the line
- usage: put at risk; "I will stake my good reputation for this"
- 2. bet on, back, gage, stake, game, punt, bet, wager, play
- usage: place a bet on; "Which horse are you backing?"; "I'm betting on the new horse"
- 3. stake, post, mark
- usage: mark with a stake; "stake out the path"
- 4. stake, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: tie or fasten to a stake; "stake your goat"
- 5. impale, stake, kill
- usage: kill by piercing with a spear or sharp pole; "the enemies were impaled and left to die"
All rights reserved.
See also: stake (Dictionary)