Synonyms of splitting
- 1. divide, split, split up, separate, dissever, carve up, change integrity
- usage: separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
- 2. cleave, split, rive, tear
- usage: separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument; "cleave the bone"
- 3. separate, part, split up, split, break, break up
- usage: discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- 4. separate, part, split, move
- usage: go one's own way; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
- 5. burst, split, break open, break, separate, split up, fall apart, come apart
- usage: come open suddenly and violently, as if from internal pressure; "The bubble burst"
- 1. rending, ripping, splitting, cacophonous (vs. euphonious), cacophonic
- usage: resembling a sound of violent tearing as of something ripped apart or lightning splitting a tree; "the tree split with a great ripping sound"; "heard a rending roar as the crowd surged forward"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of splitting (Dictionary)