WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. spindle, fiber, fibre
- usage: (biology) tiny fibers that are seen in cell division; the fibers radiate from two poles and meet at the equator in the middle; "chromosomes are distributed by spindles in mitosis and meiosis"
- 2. spindle, piece
- usage: a piece of wood that has been turned on a lathe; used as a baluster, chair leg, etc.
- 3. spindle, mandrel, mandril, arbor, rotating shaft, shaft
- usage: any of various rotating shafts that serve as axes for larger rotating parts
- 4. spindle, stick
- usage: a stick or pin used to twist the yarn in spinning
- 5. spike, spindle, holding device
- usage: any holding device consisting of a rigid, sharp-pointed object; "the spike pierced the receipts and held them in order"
All rights reserved.
See also: spindle (Dictionary)