WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sphinx, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: an inscrutable person who keeps his thoughts and intentions secret
- 2. Sphinx, mythical monster, mythical creature
- usage: (Greek mythology) a riddling winged monster with a woman's head and breast on a lion's body; daughter of Typhon
- 3. sphinx, statue
- usage: one of a number of large stone statues with the body of a lion and the head of a man that were built by the ancient Egyptians
All rights reserved.
See also: sphinx (Dictionary)