WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. address, speech, speech act
- usage: the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience; "he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
- 2. speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication, auditory communication
- usage: (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
- 3. speech, utterance, vocalization
- usage: something spoken; "he could hear them uttering merry speeches"
- 4. speech, speaking, speech production
- usage: the exchange of spoken words; "they were perfectly comfortable together without speech"
- 5. manner of speaking, speech, delivery, expressive style, style
- usage: your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally; "his manner of speaking was quite abrupt"; "her speech was barren of southernisms"; "I detected a slight accent in his speech"
- 6. lecture, speech, talking to, rebuke, reproof, reproval, reprehension, reprimand
- usage: a lengthy rebuke; "a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline"; "the teacher gave him a talking to"
- 7. actor's line, speech, words, line
- usage: words making up the dialogue of a play; "the actor forgot his speech"
- 8. language, speech, faculty, mental faculty, module
- usage: the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
All rights reserved.
See also: speech (Dictionary)