- 1. Spartan, Greek, Hellene
- usage: a resident of Sparta
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Spartan
- usage: of or relating to or characteristic of Sparta or its people
- 2. spartan, resolute (vs. irresolute)
- usage: resolute in the face of pain or danger or adversity; "spartan courage"
- 3. severe, spartan, nonindulgent (vs. indulgent), strict
- usage: unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment; "a parent severe to the pitch of hostility"- H.G.Wells; "a hefty six-footer with a rather severe mien"; "a strict disciplinarian"; "a Spartan upbringing"
- 4. ascetic, ascetical, austere, spartan, abstemious (vs. gluttonous)
- usage: practicing great self-denial; "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence"
All rights reserved.
See also: spartan (Dictionary)