- 1. sorrow, sadness, unhappiness
- usage: an emotion of great sadness associated with loss or bereavement; "he tried to express his sorrow at her loss"
- 2. sorrow, regret, rue, ruefulness, sadness, unhappiness
- usage: sadness associated with some wrong done or some disappointment; "he drank to drown his sorrows"; "he wrote a note expressing his regret"; "to his rue, the error cost him the game"
- 3. grief, sorrow, negative stimulus
- usage: something that causes great unhappiness; "her death was a great grief to John"
- 4. sadness, sorrow, sorrowfulness, unhappiness
- usage: the state of being sad; "she tired of his perpetual sadness"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. grieve, sorrow, suffer
- usage: feel grief
All rights reserved.
See also: sorrow (Dictionary)