Synonyms of smothering
- 1. smother, surround, cover
- usage: envelop completely; "smother the meat in gravy"
- 2. smother, asphyxiate, suffocate, kill
- usage: deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
- 3. smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
- 4. smother, cover, spread over
- usage: form an impenetrable cover over; "the butter cream smothered the cake"
- 5. smother, put out, snuff out, extinguish
- usage: deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion; "smother fires"
- 1. smothering, suffocating, suffocative, breathless (vs. breathing), dyspneic, dyspnoeic, dyspneal, dyspnoeal
- usage: causing difficulty in breathing especially through lack of fresh air and presence of heat; "the choking June dust"; "the smothering soft voices"; "smothering heat"; "the room was suffocating--hot and airless"
All rights reserved.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.