- 1. smell, odor, odour, olfactory sensation, olfactory perception, sensation, esthesis, aesthesis, sense experience, sense impression, sense datum
- usage: the sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form; "she loved the smell of roses"
- 2. olfactory property, smell, aroma, odor, odour, scent, property
- usage: any property detected by the olfactory system
- 3. spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell, atmosphere, ambiance, ambience
- usage: the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
- 4. smell, sense of smell, olfaction, olfactory modality, modality, sense modality, sensory system, exteroception
- usage: the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents
- 5. smell, smelling, sensing, perception
- usage: the act of perceiving the odor of something
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. smell, perceive, comprehend
- usage: inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense
- 2. smell, cause to be perceived
- usage: emit an odor; "The soup smells good"
- 3. smell, smell
- usage: smell bad; "He rarely washes, and he smells"
- 4. smack, reek, smell, suggest, evoke, paint a picture
- usage: have an element suggestive (of something); "his speeches smacked of racism"; "this passage smells of plagiarism"
- 5. smell, smell out, sense, perceive
- usage: become aware of not through the senses but instinctively; "I sense his hostility"; "i smell trouble"; "smell out corruption"
All rights reserved.
See also: smell (Dictionary)