- 1. sense, signified, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: the meaning of a word or expression; the way in which a word or expression or situation can be interpreted; "the dictionary gave several senses for the word"; "in the best sense charity is really a duty"; "the signifier is linked to the signified"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mean, intend, signify, stand for
- usage: denote or connote; "`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
- 2. signify, mean, intend
- usage: convey or express a meaning; "These words mean nothing to me!"; "What does his strange behavior signify?"
- 3. signify, indicate
- usage: make known with a word or signal; "He signified his wish to pay the bill for our meal"
All rights reserved.
See also: signified (Dictionary)