- 1. side, region, part
- usage: a place within a region identified relative to a center or reference location; "they always sat on the right side of the church"; "he never left my side"
- 2. side, unit, social unit
- usage: one of two or more contesting groups; "the Confederate side was prepared to attack"
- 3. side, area, region
- usage: either the left or right half of a body; "he had a pain in his side"
- 4. side, face, surface
- usage: a surface forming part of the outside of an object; "he examined all sides of the crystal"; "dew dripped from the face of the leaf"
- 5. side, surface
- usage: an extended outer surface of an object; "he turned the box over to examine the bottom side"; "they painted all four sides of the house"
- 6. side, aspect, facet
- usage: an aspect of something (as contrasted with some other implied aspect); "he was on the heavy side"; "he is on the purchasing side of the business"; "it brought out his better side"
- 7. side, line
- usage: a line segment forming part of the perimeter of a plane figure; "the hypotenuse of a right triangle is always the longest side"
- 8. side, lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock
- usage: a family line of descent; "he gets his brains from his father's side"
- 9. side, side of meat, cut, cut of meat
- usage: a lengthwise dressed half of an animal's carcass used for food
- 10. side, position, opinion, view
- usage: an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; "there are two sides to every question"
- 11. slope, incline, side, geological formation, formation
- usage: an elevated geological formation; "he climbed the steep slope"; "the house was built on the side of a mountain"
- 12. English, side, spin
- usage: (sports) the spin given to a ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist
- 1. side, align, array
- usage: take sides for or against; "Who are you widing with?"; "I"m siding against the current candidate"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. side(prenominal) (vs. top) (vs. bottom), broadside, lateral, sidelong
- usage: located on a side; "side fences"; "the side porch"
All rights reserved.
See also: side (Dictionary)