- 1. close, shut
- usage: move so that an opening or passage is obstructed; make shut; "Close the door"; "shut the window"
- 2. close, shut, change state, turn
- usage: become closed; "The windows closed with a loud bang"
- 3. exclude, keep out, shut out, shut, prevent, keep
- usage: prevent from entering; shut out; "The trees were shutting out all sunlight"; "This policy excludes people who have a criminal record from entering the country"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. shut (vs. open), unopen, closed, closed
- usage: not open; "the door slammed shut"
- 2. closed (vs. open), shut, blinking, winking, compressed, tight, squinched, squinting
- usage: used especially of mouth or eyes; "he sat quietly with closed eyes"; "his eyes were shut against the sunlight"
All rights reserved.
See also: shut (Dictionary)