- 1. shrivel, shrivel up, shrink, wither, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: wither, as with a loss of moisture; "The fruit dried and shriveled"
- 2. flinch, squinch, funk, cringe, shrink, wince, recoil, quail, move
- usage: draw back, as with fear or pain; "she flinched when they showed the slaughtering of the calf"
- 3. shrink, reduce, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: reduce in size; reduce physically; "Hot water will shrink the sweater"; "Can you shrink this image?"
- 4. shrink, contract, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: become smaller or draw together; "The fabric shrank"; "The balloon shrank"
- 5. shrink, shrivel, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: decrease in size, range, or extent; "His earnings shrank"; "My courage shrivelled when I saw the task before me"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. shriveled, shrivelled, shrunken, withered, wizen, wizened, thin (vs. fat), lean
- usage: lean and wrinkled by shrinkage as from age or illness; "the old woman's shriveled skin"; "he looked shriveled and ill"; "a shrunken old man"; "a lanky scarecrow of a man with withered face and lantern jaws"-W.F.Starkie; "he did well despite his withered arm"; "a wizened little man with frizzy grey hair"
- 2. shriveled, shrivelled, shrunken, decreased (vs. increased), reduced
- usage: reduced in efficacy or vitality or intensity; "our shriveled receipts during the storm"; "as the project wore on she found her enthusiasm shriveled"; "the dollar's shrunken buying power"
All rights reserved.
See also: shrunken (Dictionary)