- 1. shoulder, body part
- usage: the part of the body between the neck and the upper arm
- 2. shoulder, cut, cut of meat
- usage: a cut of meat including the upper joint of the foreleg
- 3. shoulder, shoulder joint, articulatio humeri, ball-and-socket joint, spheroid joint, cotyloid joint, enarthrodial joint, enarthrosis, articulatio spheroidea
- usage: a ball-and-socket joint between the head of the humerus and a cavity of the scapula
- 4. shoulder, cloth covering
- usage: the part of a garment that covers or fits over the shoulder; "an ornamental gold braid on the shoulder of his uniform"
- 5. shoulder, berm, edge
- usage: a narrow edge of land (usually unpaved) along the side of a road; "the car pulled off onto the shoulder"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. shoulder, raise, lift, elevate, get up, bring up
- usage: lift onto one's shoulders
- 2. shoulder, thrust
- usage: push with the shoulders; "He shouldered his way into the crowd"
- 3. shoulder, transport, carry
- usage: carry a burden, either real or metaphoric; "shoulder the burden"
All rights reserved.
See also: shoulder (Dictionary)