WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. colony, settlement, body
- usage: a body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government; "the American colony in Paris"
- 2. village, small town, settlement, community
- usage: a community of people smaller than a town
- 3. settlement, agreement, understanding
- usage: a conclusive resolution of a matter and disposition of it
- 4. colonization, colonisation, settlement, constitution, establishment, formation, organization, organisation
- usage: the act of colonizing; the establishment of colonies; "the British colonization of America"
- 5. settlement, resolution, closure, decision making, deciding
- usage: something settled or resolved; the outcome of decision making; "they finally reached a settlement with the union"; "they never did achieve a final resolution of their differences"; "he needed to grieve before he could achieve a sense of closure"
- 6. settlement, geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
- usage: an area where a group of families live together
- 7. liquidation, settlement, termination, ending, conclusion
- usage: termination of a business operation by using its assets to discharge its liabilities
All rights reserved.
See also: settlement (Dictionary)