Synonyms of serious
- 1. serious (vs. frivolous), earnest, sincere, solemn, grave, sedate, sober, solemn, overserious, real, thoughtful, serious-minded, sobering, solid
- usage: concerned with work or important matters rather than play or trivialities; "a serious student of history"; "a serious attempt to learn to ski"; "gave me a serious look"; "a serious young man"; "are you serious or joking?"; "Don't be so serious!"
- 2. serious, important (vs. unimportant), of import
- usage: of great consequence; "marriage is a serious matter"
- 3. dangerous, grave, grievous, serious, severe, life-threatening, critical (vs. noncritical)
- usage: causing fear or anxiety by threatening great harm; "a dangerous operation"; "a grave situation"; "a grave illness"; "grievous bodily harm"; "a serious wound"; "a serious turn of events"; "a severe case of pneumonia"; "a life-threatening disease"
- 4. good, serious, intellectual (vs. nonintellectual)
- usage: appealing to the mind; "good music"; "a serious book"
- 5. unplayful (vs. playful), serious, sober
- usage: completely lacking in playfulness
- 6. serious, difficult (vs. easy), hard
- usage: requiring effort or concentration; complex and not easy to answer or solve; "raised serious objections to the proposal"; "the plan has a serious flaw"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of serious (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.