- 1. second, sec, s, time unit, unit of time
- usage: 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- 2. moment, mo, minute, second, bit, time
- usage: an indefinitely short time; "wait just a moment"; "in a mo"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
- 3. second base, second, position
- usage: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield
- 4. moment, minute, second, instant, point, point in time
- usage: a particular point in time; "the moment he arrived the party began"
- 5. second, rank
- usage: following the first in an ordering or series; "he came in a close second"
- 6. second, arcsecond, angular unit
- usage: a 60th part of a minute of arc; "the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
- 7. second, attendant, attender, tender
- usage: the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
- 8. second, secondment, endorsement, indorsement, agreement
- usage: a speech seconding a motion; "do I hear a second?"
- 9. second gear, second, gear, gear mechanism
- usage: the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; "he had to shift down into second to make the hill"
- 10. irregular, second, merchandise, ware, product
- usage: merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name
- 1. second, back, endorse, indorse, support, back up
- usage: give support or one's approval to; "I'll second that motion"; "I can't back this plan"; "endorse a new project"
- 2. second, transfer, reassign
- usage: transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment; "The officer was seconded for duty overseas"
- 1. second, 2nd, 2d, ordinal (vs. cardinal)
- usage: coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude
- 2. second (vs. first)
- usage: a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first; "second flute"; "the second violins"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. second, secondly
- usage: in the second place; "second, we must consider the economy"
All rights reserved.
See also: second (Dictionary)