- 1. sealing wax, seal, fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
- usage: fastener consisting of a resinous composition that is plastic when warm; used for sealing documents and parcels and letters
- 2. seal, stamp, device
- usage: a device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents
- 3. seal, sealskin, fur, pelt
- usage: the pelt or fur (especially the underfur) of a seal; "a coat of seal"
- 4. Navy SEAL, SEAL, bluejacket, navy man, sailor, sailor boy
- usage: a member of a Naval Special Warfare unit who is trained for unconventional warfare; "SEAL is an acronym for Sea Air and Land"
- 5. seal, stamp, impression
- usage: a stamp affixed to a document (as to attest to its authenticity or to seal it); "the warrant bore the sheriff's seal"
- 6. cachet, seal, seal of approval, award, accolade, honor, honour, laurels
- usage: an indication of approved or superior status
- 7. seal, coating, coat
- usage: a finishing coat applied to exclude moisture
- 8. seal, fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
- usage: fastener that provides a tight and perfect closure
- 9. seal, pinniped mammal, pinniped, pinnatiped
- usage: any of numerous marine mammals that come on shore to breed; chiefly of cold regions
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. seal, seal off, close, shut
- usage: make tight; secure against leakage; "seal the windows"
- 2. seal, close, fill up
- usage: close with or as if with a seal; "She sealed the letter with hot wax"
- 3. seal, decide, make up one's mind, determine
- usage: decide irrevocably; "sealing dooms"
- 4. seal, affix, stick on
- usage: affix a seal to; "seal the letter"
- 5. varnish, seal, coat, surface
- usage: cover with varnish
- 6. seal, hunt, run, hunt down, track down
- usage: hunt seals
All rights reserved.
See also: seal (Dictionary)