Synonyms of scratch
- 1. abrasion, scratch, scrape, excoriation, wound, lesion
- usage: an abraded area where the skin is torn or worn off
- 2. incision, scratch, prick, slit, dent, depression, impression, imprint
- usage: a depression scratched or carved into a surface
- 3. boodle, bread, cabbage, clams, dinero, dough, gelt, kale, lettuce, lolly, lucre, loot, moolah, pelf, scratch, shekels, simoleons, sugar, wampum, money
- usage: informal terms for money
- 4. scratch, rival, challenger, competitor, competition, contender
- usage: a competitor who has withdrawn from competition
- 5. start, starting line, scratch, scratch line, line
- usage: a line indicating the location of the start of a race or a game
- 6. chicken feed, scratch, mash
- usage: dry mash for poultry
- 7. scrape, scraping, scratch, scratching, noise
- usage: a harsh noise made by scraping; "the scrape of violin bows distracted her"
- 8. scribble, scratch, scrawl, cacography, handwriting, hand, script
- usage: poor handwriting
- 9. scratch, handicap
- usage: (golf) a handicap of zero strokes; "a golfer who plays at scratch should be able to achieve par on a course"
- 10. scratch, scrape, scar, mark, blemish, defect, mar
- usage: an indication of damage
- 1. rub, fray, fret, chafe, scratch, touch, adjoin, meet, contact
- usage: cause friction; "my sweater scratches"
- 2. scratch, scrape, scratch up, incise
- usage: cut the surface of; wear away the surface of
- 3. rub, scratch, itch, irritate
- usage: scrape or rub as if to relieve itching; "Don't scratch your insect bites!"
- 4. cancel, call off, scratch, scrub
- usage: postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled; "Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"; "we had to scrub our vacation plans"; "scratch that meeting--the chair is ill"
- 5. strike, scratch, expunge, excise, delete, cancel
- usage: remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line; "Please strike this remark from the record"; "scratch that remark"
- 6. scrape, scrape up, scratch, come up, roll up, collect, accumulate, pile up, amass, compile, hoard
- usage: gather (money or other resources) together over time; "She had scraped together enough money for college"; "they scratched a meager living"
- 7. scratch, engrave, grave, inscribe, carve, chip at
- usage: carve, cut, or etch into a material or surface; "engrave a pen"; "engraved the trophy cupt with the winner's"; "the lovers scratched their names into the bark of the tree"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of scratch (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.