Synonyms of scratch
- 1. abrasion, scratch, scrape, excoriation, wound, lesion
- usage: an abraded area where the skin is torn or worn off
- 2. incision, scratch, prick, slit, dent, depression, impression, imprint
- usage: a depression scratched or carved into a surface
- 3. boodle, bread, cabbage, clams, dinero, dough, gelt, kale, lettuce, lolly, lucre, loot, moolah, pelf, scratch, shekels, simoleons, sugar, wampum, money
- usage: informal terms for money
- 4. scratch, rival, challenger, competitor, competition, contender
- usage: a competitor who has withdrawn from competition
- 5. start, starting line, scratch, scratch line, line
- usage: a line indicating the location of the start of a race or a game
- 6. chicken feed, scratch, mash
- usage: dry mash for poultry
- 7. scrape, scraping, scratch, scratching, noise
- usage: a harsh noise made by scraping; "the scrape of violin bows distracted her"
- 8. scribble, scratch, scrawl, cacography, handwriting, hand, script
- usage: poor handwriting
- 9. scratch, handicap
- usage: (golf) a handicap of zero strokes; "a golfer who plays at scratch should be able to achieve par on a course"
- 10. scratch, scrape, scar, mark, blemish, defect, mar
- usage: an indication of damage
- 1. rub, fray, fret, chafe, scratch, touch, adjoin, meet, contact
- usage: cause friction; "my sweater scratches"
- 2. scratch, scrape, scratch up, incise
- usage: cut the surface of; wear away the surface of
- 3. rub, scratch, itch, irritate
- usage: scrape or rub as if to relieve itching; "Don't scratch your insect bites!"
- 4. cancel, call off, scratch, scrub
- usage: postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled; "Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"; "we had to scrub our vacation plans"; "scratch that meeting--the chair is ill"
- 5. strike, scratch, expunge, excise, delete, cancel
- usage: remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line; "Please strike this remark from the record"; "scratch that remark"
- 6. scrape, scrape up, scratch, come up, roll up, collect, accumulate, pile up, amass, compile, hoard
- usage: gather (money or other resources) together over time; "She had scraped together enough money for college"; "they scratched a meager living"
- 7. scratch, engrave, grave, inscribe, carve, chip at
- usage: carve, cut, or etch into a material or surface; "engrave a pen"; "engraved the trophy cupt with the winner's"; "the lovers scratched their names into the bark of the tree"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of scratch (Dictionary)