- 1. scourge, flagellum, whip
- usage: a whip used to inflict punishment (often used for pedantic humor)
- 2. bane, curse, scourge, nemesis, affliction
- usage: something causing misery or death; "the bane of my life"
- 3. terror, scourge, threat, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a person who inspires fear or dread; "he was the terror of the neighborhood"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. scourge, punish, penalize, penalise
- usage: punish severely; excoriate
- 2. flagellate, scourge, flog, welt, whip, lather, lash, slash, strap, trounce
- usage: whip; "The religious fanatics flagellated themselves"
- 3. lay waste to, waste, devastate, desolate, ravage, scourge, destroy, ruin
- usage: cause extensive destruction or ruin utterly; "The enemy lay waste to the countryside after the invasion"
All rights reserved.
See also: scourge (Dictionary)