WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit, extent
- usage: an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
- 2. setting, background, scope, environment
- usage: the state of the environment in which a situation exists; "you can't do that in a university setting"
- 3. telescope, scope, magnifier
- usage: a magnifier of images of distant objects
- 4. oscilloscope, scope, cathode-ray oscilloscope, CRO, electronic equipment
- usage: electronic equipment that provides visual images of varying electrical quantities
All rights reserved.
See also: scope (Dictionary)