- 1. scan, examination, scrutiny
- usage: the act of scanning; systematic examination of a prescribed region; "he made a thorough scan of the beach with his binoculars"
- 2. scan, CAT scan, picture, image, icon, ikon
- usage: an image produced by scanning; "he analyzed the brain scan"; "you could see the tumor in the CAT scan"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. scan, examine, see
- usage: examine minutely or intensely; "the surgeon scanned the X-ray"
- 2. scan, skim, rake, glance over, run down, examine, see
- usage: examine hastily; "She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi"
- 3. scan, search
- usage: make a wide, sweeping search of; "The beams scanned the night sky"
- 4. scan, conform
- usage: conform to a metrical pattern
- 5. scan, move, displace
- usage: move a light beam over; in electronics, to reproduce an image
- 6. scan, declaim, recite
- usage: read metrically; "scan verses"
- 7. read, scan, interpret, construe, see
- usage: obtain data from magnetic tapes; "This dictionary can be read by the computer"
All rights reserved.
See also: scan (Dictionary)