- 1. scale, scale of measurement, graduated table, ordered series, standard, criterion, measure, touchstone
- usage: an ordered reference standard; "judging on a scale of 1 to 10"
- 2. scale, magnitude relation, quantitative relation
- usage: relative magnitude; "they entertained on a grand scale"
- 3. scale, proportion
- usage: the ratio between the size of something and a representation of it; "the scale of the map"; "the scale of the model"
- 4. scale, scale leaf, leaf, leafage, foliage
- usage: a specialized leaf or bract that protects a bud or catkin
- 5. scale, scurf, exfoliation, bit, chip, flake, fleck, scrap
- usage: a thin flake of dead epidermis shed from the surface of the skin
- 6. scale, musical scale, musical notation
- usage: (music) a series of notes differing in pitch according to a specific scheme (usually within an octave)
- 7. scale, weighing machine, measuring instrument, measuring system, measuring device
- usage: a measuring instrument for weighing; shows amount of mass
- 8. scale, indicator
- usage: an indicator having a graduated sequence of marks
- 9. plate, scale, shell, shield
- usage: a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- 10. scale, covering, natural covering, cover
- usage: a flattened rigid plate forming part of the body covering of many animals
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. scale, measure
- usage: measure by or as if by a scale; "This bike scales only 25 pounds"
- 2. scale, model, pattern
- usage: pattern, make, regulate, set, measure, or estimate according to some rate or standard
- 3. scale, take
- usage: take by attacking with scaling ladders; "The troops scaled the walls of the fort"
- 4. scale, surmount, reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at, gain
- usage: reach the highest point of; "We scaled the Mont Blanc"
- 5. scale, climb, climb up, mount, go up
- usage: climb up by means of a ladder
- 6. scale, descale, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove the scales from; "scale fish"
- 7. scale, quantify, measure
- usage: measure with or as if with scales; "scale the gold"
- 8. scale, size
- usage: size or measure according to a scale; "This model must be scaled down"
All rights reserved.
See also: scale (Dictionary)