- 1. salute, salutation, recognition, credit
- usage: an act of honor or courteous recognition; "a musical salute to the composer on his birthday"
- 2. salute, military greeting, greeting, salutation
- usage: a formal military gesture of respect
- 3. salute, greeting, salutation
- usage: an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hat
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. toast, drink, pledge, salute, wassail, honor, honour, reward
- usage: propose a toast to; "Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let's drink to the New Year"
- 2. salute, greet, recognize, recognise
- usage: greet in a friendly way; "I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me"
- 3. salute, praise
- usage: express commendation of; "I salute your courage!"
- 4. salute, smell
- usage: become noticeable; "a terrible stench saluted our nostrils"
- 5. salute, greet, recognize, recognise
- usage: honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiers
- 6. salute, present, greet, recognize, recognise
- usage: recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position; "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
All rights reserved.
See also: salute (Dictionary)