WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sad (vs. glad), bittersweet, doleful, mournful, heavyhearted, melancholy, melancholic, pensive, wistful, tragic, tragical, tragicomic, tragicomical
- usage: experiencing or showing sorrow or unhappiness; "feeling sad because his dog had died"; "Better by far that you should forget and smile / Than that you should remember and be sad"- Christina Rossetti
- 2. sad, sorrowful (vs. joyful)
- usage: of things that make you feel sad; "sad news"; "she doesn't like sad movies"; "it was a very sad story"; "When I am dead, my dearest, / Sing no sad songs for me"- Christina Rossetti
- 3. deplorable, distressing, lamentable, pitiful, sad, sorry, bad (vs. good)
- usage: bad; unfortunate; "my finances were in a deplorable state"; "a lamentable decision"; "her clothes were in sad shape"; "a sorry state of affairs"
All rights reserved.
See also: sad (Dictionary)