- 1. forfeit, forfeiture, sacrifice, act, deed, human action, human activity
- usage: the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform etc.
- 2. sacrifice, personnel casualty, loss
- usage: personnel that are sacrificed (e.g., surrendered or lost in order to gain an objective)
- 3. sacrifice, loss
- usage: a loss entailed by giving up or selling something at less than its value; "he had to sell his car at a considerable sacrifice"
- 4. sacrifice, ritual killing, killing, kill, putting to death
- usage: the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity
- 5. sacrifice, putout
- usage: (baseball) an out that advances the base runners
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sacrifice, give, release, relinquish, resign, free, give up
- usage: endure the loss of; "He gave his life for his children"; "I gave two sons to the war"
- 2. sacrifice, kill
- usage: kill or destroy; "The animals were sacrificed after the experiment"; "The general had to sacrifice several soldiers to save the regiment"
- 3. sacrifice, sell
- usage: sell at a loss
- 4. sacrifice, offer, offer up
- usage: make a sacrifice of; in religious rituals
All rights reserved.
See also: sacrifice (Dictionary)