WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sacred (vs. profane), divine, ineffable, unnameable, unspeakable, unutterable, inspirational, inviolable, inviolate, sacrosanct, numinous, quasi-religious, religious, spiritual, reverend, sublime, sacral, taboo, tabu, consecrated#1, consecrate#1, dedicated, heavenly, pious
- usage: concerned with religion or religious purposes; "sacred texts"; "sacred rites"; "sacred music"
- 2. sacred, worthy (vs. unworthy)
- usage: worthy of respect or dedication; "saw motherhood as woman's sacred calling"
- 3. consecrated, sacred, sanctified, holy (vs. unholy)
- usage: made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use; "a consecrated church"; "the sacred mosque"; "sacred elephants"; "sacred bread and wine"; "sanctified wine"
- 4. hallowed, sacred, holy (vs. unholy)
- usage: worthy of religious veneration; "the sacred name of Jesus"; "Jerusalem's hallowed soil"
- 5. sacred, dedicated (vs. undedicated)
- usage: (often followed by `to') devoted exclusively to a single use or purpose or person; "a fund sacred to charity"; "a morning hour sacred to study"; "a private office sacred to the President"
All rights reserved.
See also: sacred (Dictionary)