WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. Soviet Union, Russia, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, USSR
- usage: a former communist country in eastern Europe and northern Asia; established in 1922; included Russia and 14 other soviet socialist republics (Ukraine and Byelorussia and others); officially dissolved 31 December 1991
- 2. Soviet Russia, Russia, Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic
- usage: formerly the largest Soviet Socialist Republic in the USSR occupying eastern Europe and northern Asia
- 3. Russia
- usage: a former empire in eastern Europe and northern Asia created in the 14th century with Moscow as the capital; powerful in the 17th and 18th centuries under Peter the Great and Catherine the Great when Saint Petersburg was the capital; overthrown by revolution in 1917
- 4. Russia, Russian Federation
- usage: a federation in northeastern Europe and northern Asia; formerly Soviet Russia; since 1991 an independent state
All rights reserved.
See also: russia (Dictionary)