- 1. friction, rubbing, resistance
- usage: the resistance encountered when one body is moved in contact with another
- 2. rubbing, representation
- usage: representation consisting of a copy (as of an engraving) made by laying paper over something and rubbing it with charcoal
- 3. friction, detrition, rubbing, effort, elbow grease, exertion, travail, sweat
- usage: effort expended in moving one object over another with pressure
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. rub, guide, run, draw, pass
- usage: move over something with pressure; "rub my hands"; "rub oil into her skin"
- 2. rub, fray, fret, chafe, scratch, touch, adjoin, meet, contact
- usage: cause friction; "my sweater scratches"
- 3. rub, scratch, itch, irritate
- usage: scrape or rub as if to relieve itching; "Don't scratch your insect bites!"
All rights reserved.
See also: rubbing (Dictionary)