WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. rhetoric, expressive style, style
- usage: using language effectively to please or persuade
- 2. grandiosity, magniloquence, ornateness, grandiloquence, rhetoric, expressive style, style
- usage: high-flown style; excessive use of verbal ornamentation; "the grandiosity of his prose"; "an excessive ornateness of language"
- 3. palaver, hot air, empty words, empty talk, rhetoric, nonsense, bunk, nonsensicality, meaninglessness, hokum
- usage: loud and confused and empty talk; "mere rhetoric"
- 4. rhetoric, literary study
- usage: study of the technique and rules for using language effectively (especially in public speaking)
All rights reserved.
See also: rhetoric (Dictionary)