Synonyms of retreat
- 1. retreat, withdrawal
- usage: (military) withdrawal of troops to a more favorable position to escape the enemy's superior forces or after a defeat; "the disorderly retreat of French troops"
- 2. retreat, area, country
- usage: a place of privacy; a place affording peace and quiet
- 3. retreat, signal, signaling, sign
- usage: (military) a signal to begin a withdrawal from a dangerous position
- 4. retreat, bugle call
- usage: (military) a bugle call signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset
- 5. hideaway, retreat, area
- usage: an area where you can be alone
- 6. retirement, retreat, withdrawal
- usage: withdrawal for prayer and study and meditation; "the religious retreat is a form of vacation activity"
- 7. retreat, withdrawal
- usage: the act of withdrawing or going backward (especially to escape something hazardous or unpleasant)
- 1. withdraw, retreat, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: pull back or move away or backward; "The enemy withdrew"; "The limo pulled away from the curb"
- 2. retreat, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: move away, as for privacy; "The Pope retreats to Castelgondolfo every summer"
- 3. retrograde, retreat, withdraw, retreat, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back
- usage: move back; "The glacier retrogrades"
- 4. retreat, pull back, back out, back away, crawfish, crawfish out, pull in one's horns, withdraw
- usage: make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity; "We'll have to crawfish out from meeting with him"; "He backed out of his earlier promise"; "The aggressive investment company pulled in its horns"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of retreat (Dictionary)