- 1. retire, leave office, quit, step down, resign
- usage: go into retirement; stop performing one's work or withdraw from one's position; "He retired at age 68"
- 2. retire, withdraw, discontinue, stop, cease, give up, quit, lay off
- usage: withdraw from active participation; "He retired from chess"
- 3. withdraw, retreat, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: pull back or move away or backward; "The enemy withdrew"; "The limo pulled away from the curb"
- 4. retire, recall
- usage: withdraw from circulation or from the market, as of bills, shares, and bonds
- 5. adjourn, withdraw, retire, close up, close, fold, shut down, close down
- usage: break from a meeting or gathering; "We adjourned for lunch"; "The men retired to the library"
- 6. retire, displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate
- usage: make (someone) retire; "The director was retired after the scandal"
- 7. retire, discard, fling, toss, toss out, toss away, chuck out, cast aside, dispose, throw out, cast out, throw away, cast away, put away
- usage: dispose of (something no longer useful or needed); "She finally retired that old coat"
- 8. retire, withdraw, tire, pall, weary, fatigue, jade
- usage: lose interest; "he retired from life when his wife died"
- 9. put out, retire, toy, fiddle, diddle, play
- usage: cause to be out on a fielding play
- 10. retire, strike out
- usage: cause to get out; "The pitcher retired three batters"; "the runner was put out at third base"
- 11. go to bed, turn in, bed, crawl in, kip down, hit the hay, hit the sack, sack out, go to sleep, retire
- usage: prepare for sleep; "I usually turn in at midnight"; "He goes to bed at the crack of dawn"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. retiring, unassuming, modest (vs. immodest)
- usage: not arrogant or presuming; "unassuming to a fault, skeptical about the value of his work"; "a shy retiring girl"
- 2. past(prenominal), preceding(prenominal), retiring(prenominal), outgoing (vs. incoming)
- usage: of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office; "a retiring member of the board"
- 3. reticent, self-effacing, retiring, unassertive (vs. assertive)
- usage: reluctant to draw attention to yourself
All rights reserved.
See also: retiring (Dictionary)