WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. restrain, keep, keep back, hold back, inhibit, bottle up, suppress
- usage: keep under control; keep in check; "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
- 2. restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle, control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb, moderate
- usage: place limits on (extent or access); "restrict the use of this parking lot"; "limit the time you can spend with your friends"
- 3. restrain, confine, hold, disable, disenable, incapacitate
- usage: to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement; "This holds the local until the express passengers change trains"; "About a dozen animals were held inside the stockade"; "The illegal immigrants were held at a detention center"; "The terrorists held the journalists for ransom"
- 4. restrain, encumber, cumber, constrain, restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle
- usage: hold back
- 5. intimidate, restrain, discourage
- usage: to compel or deter by or as if by threats
All rights reserved.
See also: restrain (Dictionary)