WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. repression, subjugation, subjection
- usage: a state of forcible subjugation; "the long repression of Christian sects"
- 2. repression, defense mechanism, defense reaction, defence mechanism, defence reaction, defense, defence
- usage: (psychiatry) the classical defense mechanism that protects you from impulses or ideas that would cause anxiety by preventing them from becoming conscious
- 3. repression, control
- usage: the act of repressing; control by holding down; "his goal was the repression of insolence"
All rights reserved.
See also: repression (Dictionary)