WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. abdicate, renounce, vacate, resign, renounce, give up
- usage: give up, such as power, as of monarchs and emperors, or duties and obligations; "The King abdicated when he married a divorcee"
- 2. vacate, resign, renounce, give up, leave office, quit, step down, resign
- usage: leave (a job, post, or position) voluntarily; "She vacated the position when she got pregnant"; "The chairman resigned when he was found to have misappropriated funds"
- 3. foreswear, renounce, quit, relinquish, abandon, give up
- usage: turn away from; give up; "I am foreswearing women forever"
- 4. disown, renounce, repudiate, reject
- usage: cast off; "She renounced her husband"; "The parents repudiated their son"
All rights reserved.
See also: renounce (Dictionary)