WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. polish, refinement, culture, cultivation, finish, perfection, flawlessness, ne plus ultra
- usage: a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality; "they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
- 2. refinement, elaboration, improvement, betterment, advance
- usage: the result of improving something; "he described a refinement of this technique"
- 3. refining, refinement, purification, processing
- usage: the process of removing impurities (as from oil or metals or sugar etc.)
- 4. nuance, nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude; "without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor"; "don't argue about shades of meaning"
- 5. refinement, civilization, civilisation, excellence
- usage: the quality of excellence in thought and manners and taste; "a man of intellectual refinement"; "he is remembered for his generosity and civilization"
All rights reserved.
See also: refinement (Dictionary)