WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer, think of, have in mind, mean
- usage: make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- 2. refer, pertain, relate, concern, come to, bear on, touch, touch on, have-to doe with
- usage: be relevant to; "There were lots of questions referring to her talk"; "My remark pertained to your earlier comments"
- 3. refer, classify, class, sort, assort, sort out, separate
- usage: think of, regard, or classify under a subsuming principle or with a general group or in relation to another; "This plant can be referred to a known species"
- 4. refer, send, direct
- usage: send or direct for treatment, information, or a decision; "refer a patient to a specialist"; "refer a bill to a committee"
- 5. consult, refer, look up, research
- usage: seek information from; "You should consult the dictionary"; "refer to your notes"
- 6. denote, refer, mean, intend, signify, stand for
- usage: have as a meaning; "`multi-' denotes `many' "
- 7. refer, name, call
- usage: use a name to designate; "Christians refer to the mother of Jesus as the Virgin Mary"
All rights reserved.
See also: refer (Dictionary)