- 1. recoil, kick, movement, motion
- usage: the backward jerk of a gun when it is fired
- 2. recoil, repercussion, rebound, backlash, movement, motion
- usage: a movement back from an impact
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. flinch, squinch, funk, cringe, shrink, wince, recoil, quail, move
- usage: draw back, as with fear or pain; "she flinched when they showed the slaughtering of the calf"
- 2. backfire, backlash, recoil, happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- usage: come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect; "Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"
- 3. bounce, resile, take a hop, spring, bound, rebound, recoil, reverberate, ricochet, jump, leap, bound, spring
- usage: spring back; spring away from an impact; "The rubber ball bounced"; "These particles do not resile but they unite after they collide"
- 4. kick back, recoil, kick, bounce, resile, take a hop, spring, bound, rebound, recoil, reverberate, ricochet
- usage: spring back, as from a forceful thrust; "The gun kicked back into my shoulder"
All rights reserved.
See also: recoil (Dictionary)