- 1. rear, formation
- usage: the back of a military formation or procession; "infantrymen were in the rear"
- 2. rear, backside, back end, side, face
- usage: the side of an object that is opposite its front; "his room was toward the rear of the hotel"
- 3. back, rear, position, place
- usage: the part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer; "he stood at the back of the stage"; "it was hidden in the rear of the store"
- 4. buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass, body part
- usage: the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
- 5. rear, back, side
- usage: the side that goes last or is not normally seen; "he wrote the date on the back of the photograph"
- 1. rear, rise up, straighten
- usage: stand up on the hind legs, of quadrupeds; "The horse reared in terror"
- 2. rear, raise, bring up, nurture, parent
- usage: bring up; "raise a family"; "bring up children"
- 3. rise, lift, rear, look, appear, seem
- usage: rise up; "The building rose before them"
- 4. rear, erect, raise, lift, elevate, get up, bring up
- usage: cause to rise up
- 5. raise, erect, rear, set up, put up, construct, build, make
- usage: construct, build, or erect; "Raise a barn"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. rear(prenominal), rearward(prenominal), back(prenominal) (vs. front)
- usage: located in or toward the back or rear; "the chair's rear legs"; "the rear door of the plane"; "on the rearward side"
All rights reserved.
See also: rear (Dictionary)