Synonyms of range
- 1. scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit, extent
- usage: an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
- 2. range, reach, limit
- usage: the limits within which something can be effective; "range of motion"; "he was beyond the reach of their fire"
- 3. range, tract, piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel
- usage: a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze; "they used to drive the cattle across the open range every spring"; "he dreamed of a home on the range"
- 4. range, mountain range, range of mountains, chain, mountain chain, chain of mountains, geological formation, formation
- usage: a series of hills or mountains; "the valley was between two ranges of hills"; "the plains lay just beyond the mountain range"
- 5. range, facility, installation
- usage: a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds; "the army maintains a missile range in the desert"; "any good golf club will have a range where you can practice"
- 6. range, assortment, mixture, mixed bag, miscellany, miscellanea, variety, salmagundi, smorgasbord, potpourri, motley
- usage: a variety of different things or activities; "he answered a range of questions"; "he was impressed by the range and diversity of the collection"
- 7. image, range, range of a function, set
- usage: (mathematics) the set of values of the dependent variable for which a function is defined; "the image of f(x) = x^2 is the set of all non-negative real numbers if the domain of the function is the set of all real numbers"
- 8. compass, range, reach, grasp, capability, capableness, potentiality
- usage: the limit of capability; "within the compass of education"
- 9. stove, kitchen stove, range, kitchen range, cooking stove, kitchen appliance
- usage: a kitchen appliance used for cooking food; "dinner was already on the stove"
- 1. range, run, be
- usage: change or be different within limits; "Estimates for the losses in the earthquake range as high as $2 billion"; "Interest rates run from 5 to 10 percent"; "The instruments ranged from tuba to cymbals"; "My students range from very bright to dull"
- 2. roll, wander, swan, stray, tramp, roam, cast, ramble, rove, range, drift, vagabond, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment; "The gypsies roamed the woods"; "roving vagabonds"; "the wandering Jew"; "The cattle roam across the prairie"; "the laborers drift from one town to the next"; "They rolled from town to town"
- 3. range
- usage: have a range; be capable of projecting over a certain distance, as of a gun; "This gun ranges over two miles"
- 4. range, straddle, constitute, represent, make up, comprise, be
- usage: range or extend over; occupy a certain area; "The plants straddle the entire state"
- 5. range, array, lay out, set out, arrange, set up
- usage: lay out orderly or logically in a line or as if in a line; "lay out the clothes"; "lay out the arguments"
- 6. crop, browse, graze, range, pasture, feed, eat
- usage: feed as in a meadow or pasture; "the herd was grazing"
- 7. range, feed, give
- usage: let eat; "range the animals in the prairie"
- 8. rate, rank, range, order, grade, place, evaluate, pass judgment, judge
- usage: assign a rank or rating to; "how would you rank these students?"; "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of range (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.