WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. radiation, energy, free energy
- usage: energy that is radiated or transmitted in the form of rays or waves or particles
- 2. radiation, emission, emanation
- usage: the act of spreading outward from a central source
- 3. radiation sickness, radiation syndrome, radiation, syndrome
- usage: syndrome resulting from exposure to ionizing radiation (e.g., exposure to radioactive chemicals or to nuclear explosions); low doses cause diarrhea and nausea and vomiting and sometimes loss of hair; greater exposure can cause sterility and cataracts and some forms of cancer and other diseases; severe exposure can cause death within hours; "he was suffering from radiation"
- 4. radiation, radioactivity, emission
- usage: the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay
- 5. radiation, natural process, natural action, action, activity, spread, spreading
- usage: the spread of a group of organisms into new habitats
- 6. radiation, neural structure
- usage: a radial arrangement of nerve fibers connecting different parts of the brain
- 7. radiotherapy, radiation therapy, radiation, actinotherapy, irradiation, therapy
- usage: (medicine) the treatment of disease (especially cancer) by exposure to a radioactive substance
All rights reserved.
See also: radiation (Dictionary)