WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. quintessence, ether, element
- usage: the fifth and highest element after air and earth and fire and water; was believed to be the substance composing all heavenly bodies
- 2. quintessence, kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty
- usage: the purest and most concentrated essence of something
- 3. quintessence, example, illustration, instance, representative
- usage: the most typical example or representative of a type
All rights reserved.
See also: quintessence (Dictionary)