- 1. perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound, confuse, throw, fox, befuddle, fuddle, bedevil, confound, discombobulate
- usage: be a mystery or bewildering to; "This beats me!"; "Got me--I don't know the answer!"; "a vexing problem"; "This question really stuck me"
- 2. puzzle, chew over, think over, meditate, ponder, excogitate, contemplate, muse, reflect, mull, mull over, ruminate, speculate
- usage: be uncertain about; think about without fully understanding or being able to decide; "We puzzled over her sudden departure"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. enigmatic, enigmatical, puzzling, incomprehensible (vs. comprehensible), uncomprehensible
- usage: not clear to the understanding; "I didn't grasp the meaning of that enigmatic comment until much later"; "prophetic texts so enigmatic that their meaning has been disputed for centuries"
- 2. confusing, perplexing, puzzling, unclear (vs. clear)
- usage: lacking clarity of meaning; causing confusion or perplexity; "sent confusing signals to Iraq"; "perplexing to someone who knew nothing about it"; "a puzzling statement"
All rights reserved.
See also: puzzling (Dictionary)