WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. puritanical
- usage: of or relating to Puritans or Puritanism
- 2. priggish, prim, prissy, prudish, puritanical, square-toed, straitlaced, strait-laced, straightlaced, straight-laced, tight-laced, victorian, proper (vs. improper)
- usage: exaggeratedly proper; "my straitlaced Aunt Anna doesn't approve of my miniskirts"
- 3. blue(prenominal), puritanic, puritanical, nonindulgent (vs. indulgent), strict
- usage: morally rigorous and strict; "the puritan work ethic"; "puritanic distaste for alcohol"; "she was anything but puritanical in her behavior"
All rights reserved.
See also: puritanical (Dictionary)