WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. protective (vs. unprotective), cautionary, prophylactic, contraceptive, prophylactic, antifertility, custodial, tutelary, tutelar, evasive, overprotective, preservative, protecting(prenominal), restrictive, safety-related, defensive, preventive#2, preventative
- usage: intended or adapted to afford protection of some kind; "a protective covering"; "the use of protective masks and equipment"; "protective coatings"; "kept the drunken sailor in protective custody"; "animals with protective coloring"; "protective tariffs"
- 2. protective, tender (vs. tough)
- usage: showing care; "a protective mother"
- 3. protective(predicate), careful (vs. careless)
- usage: (usually followed by `of') solicitously caring or mindful; "protective of his reputation"
All rights reserved.
See also: protective (Dictionary)