WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. protection, activity
- usage: the activity of protecting someone or something; "the witnesses demanded police protection"
- 2. protective covering, protective cover, protection, covering
- usage: a covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury; "they had no protection from the fallout"; "wax provided protection for the floors"
- 3. security, protection, assets
- usage: defense against financial failure; financial independence; "his pension gave him security in his old age"; "insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
- 4. protection, shelter, security
- usage: the condition of being protected; "they were huddled together for protection"; "he enjoyed a sense of peace and protection in his new home"
- 5. auspices, protection, aegis, endorsement, indorsement
- usage: kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
- 6. protection, trade protection, imposition, infliction
- usage: the imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition; "he made trade protection a plank in the party platform"
- 7. protection, tribute, extortion
- usage: payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence; "every store in the neighborhood had to pay him protection"
All rights reserved.
See also: protection (Dictionary)