WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. propose, suggest, advise, declare
- usage: make a proposal, declare a plan for something; "the senator proposed to abolish the sales tax"
- 2. project, propose, plan
- usage: present for consideration, examination, criticism, etc.; "He proposed a new plan for dealing with terrorism"; "She proposed a new theory of relativity"
- 3. aim, purpose, purport, propose, intend, mean, think
- usage: propose or intend; "I aim to arrive at noon"
- 4. nominate, propose, choose, take, select, pick out
- usage: put forward; nominate for appointment to an office or for an honor or position; "The President nominated her as head of the Civil Rights Commission"
- 5. propose, declare oneself, offer, pop the question, request
- usage: ask (someone) to marry you; "he popped the question on Sunday night"; "she proposed marriage to the man she had known for only two months"; "The old bachelor finally declared himself to the young woman"
All rights reserved.
See also: propose (Dictionary)